Thursday 22 September 2011

Design for print: Good is.. Examples..

As part of the Good is brief and my subject being polka dots, I have decided that I am going to look at info graphics as part of my research and rationale. I am looking at the mathematics of the polka dots patterns and how they are measured to become such a defined and well organised pattern. I have been looking online at images of info graphics that use dots to illustrate information. Although they are not specifically to do with polka dots, some of them have an accidental link.





This piece caught my eye as it is a polka dot pattern, but the polka dots have been used as pie charts to show percentages in some kind of research. I think the way in which the dots have been used to show information is really clever. Doing something like this to show the mathematics of a polka dot pattern would work really well as it is relevant in terms of using a polka dot pattern as the information as well as using individual dots to show more research.


Although this piece of info graphics is not actually in a polka dot pattern, the variation of circle sizes drew me to it. As part of my research I will be looking at the different sizes of polka dots and how they effect the feel of the pattern. Using a design like this could mean that the circles hold the information about a pattern they would be in.


This one has a very simple design which I could use in a similar way in my own designs to illustrate my research on circle circumferences.


I really like the way in which they have used colour coding in this design, with the colours representing a variation of sized circles. This would be a way in which I could use to illustrate averages of polka dot sizes as part of initial research, rather than creating several patterns I could use a simple polka dot pattern using colour coding to show the sizes of other polka dot patterns.


I like the random look and feel of this design and the overlapping of the coloured dots. The dots on this design represent birthdays and how many there are in particular years.


This piece of info graphics is using dots to represent the amount of emissions in Global countries. The dots vary in size and again are colour coded with a key at the bottom right hand corner. 


Pie charts have been used again in this design, along with dots and colour coding.




These 3 pieces of info graphics look amazing, they use such a simple design but the linking between the two sides of information makes it more visually engaging. The coloured design at the top looks so busy but not in a bad way. I think if I were to design info graphics in a style similar to this I could do so much with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment