Wednesday 4 January 2012

Design for digital// Top 10 research..

//Bucket Lists/ things to do before you die.

The brief:

Design and produce a title sequence and a set of 4 promotional idents/ stings for a proposed TV programme TOP 10/ WORST...or 10 THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT..

Your response should aim to clearly communicate the subject, concept, content and mood of the programme in a way that will engage an audience who have chosen to tune in. You should also aim to reflect the bramd identity of the channel that in your opinion- would run the programme.

You will need to choose a subject matter that you find interesting but also offers creative potential.

Your audience will be interested in your chosen subject matter to want to tune in. They will probably already have their own opinion regarding best/ worst. It is your task to engage them from the start.

-------

For my Top 10 I have decided to look at bucket lists and things to do before you die. The reason that I chose this subject was because it is something that I often think about. Everyone has dreams and ambitions so I think this could work well with the format that we have been asked to use. Motion graphics is very engaging if used well, and I think that if I could create an effective piece of motion graphics about bucket lists then it might potentially make people write one!

The idea sprang from my skydive that I did before I came to uni, I know that it is on a lot of official lists of things to do before you die. There is also a film called the bucket list which stars Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson.

Origin of the Bucket List// to kick the bucket:

To kick the bucket is an English idiom that is defined as 'to die'.

// Origin theories:

A common theory is the idiom comes from a method of execution such as hanging, or perhaps suicide, in the Middle ages. A noose tied around the neck while standing on a bucket, when the bucket is kicked away the victim is hanged. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kick_the_bucket

//Definition of Bucket List:

A bucket list is a person's list of things to do before they die/ kick the bucket.

The good thing about having a bucket list is that it can be personal and unique to everyone, it doesnt have to all be about doing crazy things like skydives and bungie jumping. Maybe theres a book you've been wanting to read or an old album you've wanted to listen to. Bucket lists help to motivate people and give them something to work towards and once you have ticked off something from your bucket list you will feel like you have achieved something which will motivate you to do something else.

----------

//Bucket List (2007)/ Director Rob Reiner, Writer Justin Zackham

Staring Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson

(Action, drama, comedy) The film is about two terminally ill cancer patients who escape their ward to head off on a road trip with a wish list of things to do before they die.

'We live and we die and the wheels on the bus go round and round'



---------

//Some Top 10 things to do before you die:


1// skydiving
2// dock with the international space station
3// edge of space supersonic jet ride
4// take a ride on a Russian mig-fighter jet
5// dive to the Titanic on board a submarine
6// climb the great pyramid of Egypt
7// visit the Great Wall of China
8// covert ops
9// go diving with sharks
10// take an African safari


1// make a pilgrimage
2// eat a meal good enough to be your last
3// climb your own Mount Ventoux
4// memorize a poem and pass it on
5// make an enemy for life
6// forgive someone
7// see for yourself that the Earth is round
8// take someone you love to the camera degli sposi
9// defi gravity
10// let someone have the chance you missed


1// set foot on each of the seven continents
2// cross a country on a bike
3// ride something bigger than a horse
4// live like a local for a month
5// visit a real 'blues' bar in Chicago
6// learn a new language
7// go heli-skiing
8// travel India by train
9// climb one of the worlds seven summits
10// dive with a whale shark


1// swim with dolphins
2// walk the Great Wall fo China
3// dive with sharks
4// run the Virgin London marathon
5// visit Petra in Jordan
6// see the Northern lights
7// go on an African safari
8// float in the dead sea
9//go white water rafting
10// visit the Amazon rainforest

--------------

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/feb/01/top-five-regrets-of-the-dying

I found this article on the Guardian website about the top 5 regrets people have about their lives before they die. It doesnt have too much relevance to Bucket Lists but it didnt give me another view on what people regret when they are on their 'death bed'. Reading this article actually made me cry, it talks about how people wish they had let themselves be happier and wish they had been true to themselves rather than worrying what other people thought about them. I guess in a way it has motivated me in a way, to do well in this module and try my hardest, as there is nothing worse than having regrets. Its almost like a list of life lessons, saying that in life you have to make sure your happy and your doing things for you and being true to yourself, dont worry about what other people may think of you!

---------------

Skydiving:

Skydiving is one activity that has been appearing a lot throughout my research into bucket lists and things to do before you die. I did a skydive just before I came to uni and it was probably the best thing I have ever done! It is so scary but so amazing, one of the best feelings in the world. I just decided one day that I wanted to do one, so I booked it! It was very spontaneous and maybe slightly mad, my mum wouldnt talk to me about it and said that I had to make my own way there because she didnt want to be responsible for taking me if I died whilst skydiving! :D




Unfortunately I couldnt afford to have my skydive videoed but I found a really cool one on youtube! If this wouldnt want to make someone do a skydive then I dont know what will!

Heres me after ive just landed with my instructor, as you can see I am VERY happy! Once you land you just want to do it again! Its almost like a dream its that amazing!

I even got a certificate as proof and a memory of an amazing experience!



Movie clip of the skydiving scene in the film The Bucket List.

---------------

Travelling:

Travelling is something that a lot of people dream of doing in their lives, whether it be visiting a few countries or travelling the world. Below are some links to websites about travellers stories and must see places when you go travelling.

http://www.atravelaroundtheworld.com/


------------------

Climbing a mountain:

'As of the end of the 2004 climbing season, 2,238 people had reached the summit (1,148 of them since 1998) and 186 people died while summitting. The conditions on the mountain are so difficult that most of the corpses have been left where they fell; some of them are easily visible from the standard climbing routes.'

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070214041209AAd3kGB




---------------------

Survey Monkey

I created a short survey on Survey Monkey to try and gain an understanding of how many people knew what a bucket list was, whether they had one and what was on it and I also asked for a list of three things that people would want to do before they died. So far I only have 14 responses, the results are as follows:






- 64.3% of the 14 people I had asked, had heard of a bucket list
- 10 people responded the second question, of which 9.1% had a bucket list
- 14 people listed 3 things they wanted to do before they died

The main activities that came up were:

- Travelling
- Skydiving
- Having children and getting married
- Getting a good job
- Skiing/ snowboarding
- Live abroad
- Be happy and healthy

---------------


-------------------

I decided that rather than deciding the top ten from my all research, that I would make it more personal and include some things that I would want to do, as this is a topic close to me.

This includes things like getting a tattoo, skydiving and going travelling.

I found one young man on Youtube whose friend had cancer and unfortunatley passed away. He is now living his life for himself and his friend. He travels the world and does things that he's always wanted to do. His channel is called things to do before you die.

I found this guy very inspirational and it gave me a lot of ideas for my Top 10.



On this video he gets a tattoo of the cancer ribbon for his friend who had cancer (at this time his friend was still alive). He also gets his friends first initial. I think that the fact this young Irish man is doing this for his ill friend makes it all the more inspirational.



He then does a skydive, which looks amazing. He is just a young guy living his life to the fullest. There are so many different things that he does. I do believe he does something new each week. There are other things he does such as streaking in public, zorbing, paragliding, bungee jumping and many more. His videos are all home made which makes it more personal to him, and there is always happy music playing. Which had helped me to decide on an audio for my moving image.

No comments:

Post a Comment